Monday, June 1, 2009

TFOTL



The Bible is all of a piece, and there are no shortcuts. From first to last, it is the fear of the Lord (or the lack thereof) that is shown to be the determining factor behind whether we will live in light of eternity, or live in carelessness.

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction” (Proverbs 1:7).

This should be our life verse, the cornerstone of our faith; this should be understood as the missing piece of the puzzle behind all the mystifying worldliness we see in professing Christians (i.e. ourselves!) Only He can grant to us this reverential fear of Him; it is His work.

“Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name” (Psalm 86:11).

“Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways. Confirm to your servant your promise, that you may be feared” (Psalm 119:37, 38).

The fear of the Lord comes from reading, studying, abiding in, and loving His word:


"All these things my hand has made, and so all these things came to be," declares the Lord. "But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word" (Isaiah 66:2).

"Great peace have those who love Your law; nothing can make them stumble" (Psalm 119:165).

No comments: