Thursday, March 26, 2009

Tools of the Trade

"The wisest of women builds her house,
but folly with her own hands tears it down" (Proverbs 14:1).

I don't think Solomon is talking about hammers and nails, or chainsaws and bulldozers, here. We wives and mothers wake up every morning to a new day in which we will, by our actions and words, sow either seeds of blessing and edification (building up), or destruction. The bad seeds, the negative ones, are often the most satisfying to us at the time, but later they will yield bitter fruit. The building blocks of faith and hope in God, kindness and truth-saturated love will make a strong house that will stand the test of time and storms.

"She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue" (Proverbs 31:26).

"For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham,calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening" (1 Peter 3:5,6).

Photo by jeremypullen

2 comments:

Laurie M. said...

I have a magnet on my fridge with that Proverb. I've done my share of demolition work.

"and do not fear anything that is frightening"...

I think so much of the damage we women do to our "houses" is rooted in fear. We nag our husbands, fret at our children, snap and bicker, because we're afraid of the future and our lack of control over it.

Missy said...

I think sometimes it might be easier to just pick up the hammer and nails and build an addition!

~Sigh~ So much of me to work on. I'm glad your around to encourage and challenge.


BTW...my verification word is lockwing. I like it when they spell actual words.